Thursday 28 August 2014

Playing with lab gear: FG-100 function generator and Leader 1020 Oscilloscope


This blog includes two videos: One where I play the FG-100 DDS Function Generator (EZM Electronics Studio) & a video where I focus on playing with the Leader 1020 20MHz Oscilloscope.

Video review and teardown of the FG-100 Function generator:
 

I found this function generator on eBay for only $32.59 USD from a Hong Kong seller, that's the final price! That price would not cover the shipping on a used lab function generator being shipped in North America. I won't repeat a lot of information that is covered in the video, but you should watch it to get a feel for how it works if you're interested in buying one. The specifications from the seller were as follows:

The main output waveform : sine wave and square-wave, triangle wave, sawtooth wave
Maximum output amplitude:± 10Vpp (no-load)
Output impedance :50Ω±10%
Dc bias: ± 10V (no-load)
Display: LCD1602
Output frequency range:
sine wave: 1Hz-500KHz
Square-wave: 1 Hz - 20kHz (the valid range)
Triangle wave :1 Hz - 20KHz (the valid range)
Sawtooth wave :1 Hz ~ 20kHz (the valid range)
Resolution :1 Hz
power supply: DC 3.5-10V

I would only put a 5VDC supply on this unit, I didn't measure the current draw, but I'd imagine it's fairly low, as you are only driving the generator, and not using it to power a load (which you shouldn't do!) - I'm not sure what the actual allowed current draw is on this thing either.
I did attach this thing to a newer digital oscilloscope with a frequency counter at one point, and the frequency was accurate to quite a few decimals, which makes me think the accuracy of the scope and the function generator were negligible at that point.
ALSO - No manual, you're on your own with this puppy, but you should be able to get it going on your own regardless.

Final Verdict: For less than $40 bucks you get something you can use to play around with, and would be fine for testing high and low pass filters, which makes it great for students or someone looking for a fairly accurate clock. If you're interested in playing with duty-cycle, it would seem you will have to do without that feature too.

The second video was me using the function generator to play around on my Leader 1020 Oscilloscope:
In this video I also play around with a capacitor and some of the features of the scope.
Manual can be found HERE.
I picked this up about 6 years ago, I think I paid a couple hundred for it, but it seems these are still being sold used for $100-200. I'm not actually sure how old this one is - It was last calibrated in 2008, and the serial number might hint that it's from 1980...
It has served me well, I wish the foot print was a little smaller, but I would rather this one than a cheap new digital oscilloscope. It's fairly easy to use, which makes it quick for most tasks. I personally find new digital scopes a little annoying at times with how many features they have and the endless possibilities for having something set up wrong (I find they also make young people lazy, they don't learn how to figure out frequency or voltages on their own).
But yeah, check out both the videos, hopefully you can decide if you want the gear I use, or perhaps you just wanted to see something or learn something.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. What cord do you use for yours? I’m new to using frequency generators and trying to find the correct output cord for mine.

    ReplyDelete